Sunday 15 February 2015

On The Road Again

Contemplation

Starting Block 10km, Lavington, BC
IRA Race #1
The lead up to this annual season opener for the Road Race season was a brutal painful week of my hubby's "Man Cold" turned "Wife Beater".  I got in a 10km Monday afternoon that felt so so and woke up Friday morning wondering where the week went and what type of goal I should set for myself on Sunday.  A conservative, "treat it like a training run" approach seemed wise.

 Action

Awake Sunday, Feb. 15th to blue skies, frost and 2 C .  Glorious running conditions!
When the gun went off I stuck with my plan to enjoy the morning and "just get through this", for the first 5km anyhow.  Then since lungs and legs seemed to be hanging in together pretty well I began pushing for a negative split.  By 8 kms I could still feel some kick in the legs and decided to go for a strong finish. 
Thanks to my Brian for the finish line photo!  See the beautiful blue sky!  Official time: 50:05, 29 seconds better than last year.

 Maintenance

That deserves a celebration of sorts.  Thanks Misty and Tammy for joining me in a craft beer moment of Sloth.

Kudos to the KalRats, host club, for this well run event.  Your volunteers were terrific and upbeat.


This was narrowly my best 10km road race on a non-downhill route.  What a nice surprise!

Have you ever gone into a race expecting a not so wonderful result and been delightfully surprised by by how well things turned out?

No comments:

Post a Comment